What makes a board game evergreen and classic? How do you decide which games to keep?
Over 4,000 unique board games were released in 2019 alone -- how does any one game stand out? What makes a game become "classic" or "evergreen"?
Lizzy Funkhouser from the Facebook group Board Game Spotlight and Derek Funkhouser from Skybound Games join us to separate the quality games from the background components as we discuss how they're preparing for their big cross-country move (sob!). Which games deserve to go with them, and which games will get cut? Can Shoe resist offering to buy all of their games? Can Lizzy secretly hand them off to Shoe, or will Christina notice? We also learn about how military service affects Derek and Lizzy's board gaming life as they prepare for Derek's upcoming deployment.
Note about COVID-19: We also discussed what our ideal board game convention experiences would be, but we recorded this episode before the full impact of COVID-19 was known. Many upcoming board game conventions have been postponed or cancelled, and we hope everyone practices social distancing when possible. Please stay safe and healthy!The full topics list for this episode:
- Derek (guest): Which games are considered classic or evergreen?
- Christina (host): What would be your ideal convention experience?
- Lizzy (guest): How do you decide which games to cull?
- Shoe (producer): How does military life affect board gaming?
Or listen on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, or RSS Feed.
Here's a full list of games discussed on the show:
- The Walking Dead: Something to Fear
- Herbaceous Sprouts
Derek's topic: What makes an evergreen or classic board game?
- Axis & Allies
- Ticket to Ride
- Settlers of Catan
- 7 Wonders
- Paladins of the West Kingdom
- Marvel Champions: The Card Game
- Terraforming Mars
- Twilight Struggle
- The Castles of Burgundy
- Architects of the West Kingdom
- Quacks of Quedlinburg
- Tidal Blades
- Blood Rage
- The Game of Life
- El Grande
Christina's topic: What's your ideal convention experience?
- The Taverns of Tiefenthal
Lizzy's topic: How do you decide which games to cull or keep?
- Azul: Summer Pavilion
- Gears of War: The Board Game
- Chaos in the Old World
- World of Warcraft: The Board Game
- StarCraft: The Board Game
- T.I.M.E Stories
- Small World
- Lords of Hellas
Shoe's topic: What is board gaming like while deployed or in the armed forces?
- Magic: The Gathering
- The Crew
- Skull King
- The Resistance
- The Resistance: Avalon
- Hive Mind
- The Godfather: Corleone's Empire