Best games for couples, (too much?) math in gaming, science games, and prototypes.
We got a couple of regular ol' brainiacs on the show this week. Host Christina Ha asked our gaming pal Laura Hubbard to join this episode's chat. Both are academic and test-prep tutors, so they are extra, extra, EXTRA nerdy when it comes to how they approach board gaming. Dan "Shoe" Hsu and Nick Suttner -- who are just above-average nerdy -- round out the cast.
As always, we have the four gamers bring their own topics for the group to discuss:
- Laura wants to talk math in games (and how much is too much).
- Christina brings up great science-based games.
- Shoe asks what are the group's favorite games to play with our significant others.
- Nick examines what makes for a good prototype when designing new games.
See a full list of games mentioned on the show below.
Shoe's topic: Favorite games with significant others
- Lost Cities
- Tokyo Highway
- Spirit Island
- Spirit Island: Branch & Claw
- Arkham Horror: The Card Game
- The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
- The Mind
- The Reclamation
- 7 Wonders
- 7 Wonders: Duel
- Fields of Arle
Laura's topic: How much math is too much math in a board game?
- The Castles of Burgundy
- Five Tribes
- Clans of Caledonia
- Age of Steam
Christina's topic: Science board games
- Nerd Words: Science
- Play with Your Food
- Lost Valley: The Yukon Goldrush 1896
- Terraforming Mars
- First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet
- Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island
- Realm of Sand
- Strange Vending Machine
Listen on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, and RSS Feed.